Friday, August 27, 2010

PIO shots! yeah

This isn't one of those blog posts that gives tips on how to make this awful shot work, just that we did it tonight for the first time (of three months, hopefully) and it wasn't so bad! It didn't hurt and none of the after effects.

So, what is a PIO injection? Well, progesterone, from what I understand, is necessary to keep a pregnancy and under normal conditions, the body produces it. Not so, since I have totally controlled my cycle with the drugs, and injected all my hormones. So, this is the next one to be injected. If I get pregnant, I need to continue with these injections until the second trimester.

Why is it awful? Hmmmm, well, it goes in my ass (or hip, if you want to lie about that) and PIO stands for progesterone in oil. Yes, it is in friggin oil! I asked the nurse once why and she said, "don't know, ask the pharmacist." Okay....so, it's mostly peanut oil I have read. The thing is the oil makes it go in REALLY slow, so once you actually get it in your ass (and the d-man typically is the one to do this), check to see you haven't hit a blood vessel, and start injecting it, it takes like 45 seconds to get it all in. This doesn't really hurt, but it is going in my muscle. Last time, I sadly only did this for two weeks and it was like I pulled my ass. Better than a hammy, but really. Also, I have heard that the oil can essentially coagulate in there an become lumpy, and THAT can be painful.

The nurse didn't initially call it the worst shot ever for nothing! But, if this works, it's the best shot ever....

No comments:

Post a Comment