Wednesday, August 18, 2010

my new friends...

So, I had dinner with one of my infertile friends tonight. How awful does that sound? I've got categories of friends now. I mean I've had the "high school friends" and the "college friends" and the "work friends" and whatever but now the categories are the supportive friends, the not supportive friends and the infertile friends. Thank god for some support, and damn the not supportive friends but the infertiles, that's a whole new type. Our connection? Obviously, infertility, going through treatments, understanding getting upset when seeing a baby..
So, it's a new type of connection, we can talk about all things infertility and not hold back because we wonder what someone will think or if it will offend someone. It was the beginning of the friendship and only after hanging out some do we really learn that we have absolutely nothing else in common, and that's totally fine! It's actually nice to venture out.
The big hope and also the big fear is when one of us gets (and stays) pregnant. Do we stay friends? How does it work? The infertile friend I ate with tonight actually got a positive the other day. I see that as hopeful. There is no jealousy there, more respect for going through IVF and landing on the other side.
Only time will tell how the infertile relationships go, and also if I can remain friends with the "non-supporters" who were once some of my best friends.
I truly believe that some people enter your life at certain times to help you through things. Perhaps there are also people who just aren't supposed to be there for you, but don't go away. I don't know...it's all too deep! I do know that support is there, just the form at times changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment