Saturday, October 9, 2010

What do you REALLY think?

So, Robert Edwards, the inventor of IVF (I had no idea who that was a year ago) won the Nobel Prize for his and his colleague's scientific research and I guess invention?? Anyway, there are many reasons why it took 32 years, many seem to be acceptance and backlash related. Ethics, it seems, is a major issue when it comes to IVF. I find that when you are going through it, it doesn't feel like ethics, it feels like medical treatment.

Here is the article, not bad, gives you the facts, etc.... BUT, the comments are extremely hurtful and full of ignorance. I laugh off the Catholics; I'm in the process of finding a new denomination myself for this and many other reasons....but when people say things that are meant to be mean and evil, I just cringe. Read some of them:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/05/health/research/05nobel.html?_r=1&scp=3&sq=robert%20edwards%20ivf&st=cse

Okay, so of the over 300 comments, not ALL are evil, some people struggling or sympathizing feel the need to fight back but I have to respond to some of it.

First of all, the argument that he shouldn't be celebrated for adding to an overpopulation problem...um, I feel like that problem is with the fertile people who have too many children or third world countries who don't have access to or knowledge of birth control. It doesn't have anything to do with sacrificing parents who put all they have into conceiving one or two children and usually end up pretty decent parents, I would assume.

The statement about how infertility is nature or God's way of controlling population and that those who are infertile were supposed to be that way. Well, my father and grandfather both had cancer--different kinds. My father is now cancer-free and my grandfather was with us for an extra ten years because they sought treatment. Was that out of God's plan? Should that science be banned because it isn't natural? No one would argue that.

The "why don't you just adopt--there a soooo many babies who need good homes" Well, in my admittedly minimal research, that's not true. It is way more expensive than IVF, unless you can foster to adopt. Just because someone is not prepared for a child with known emotional or physical issues, or wants a child with their own biology, doesn't make them bad. I think adoption is great, but it takes a special person to do it. Some agencies make sure you have come to terms with your infertility before they even let you begin the grueling process of adoption. There is also the issue of raising a child of another race/ethnicity, that may bring out some of the same asinine comments as these against IVF. Also, and I'll get off this because I really don't know it in detail, international adoption is increasingly difficult because countries either don't allow it or make it extremely difficult and expensive. "Just" adopting is huge.

The idea that IVF is for older women who are not fertile because of age or that it results in 6 children with CP is everywhere. The media perpetuates that one by highlighting the crazy people who are actually considered poor results (or crazy like octo-mom). Read my blog...if I was 24 and not 34, it would be the SAME ISSUE!!! We only put in three embryos because of said issues.....and we ain't having three.

SO! This is why I hesitate telling people. I was going to not worry once I had a successful live birth and tell the world what we did, but I am re-thinking that. I don't want my children ridiculed and looked down upon. It's rare that a disease or condition brings about a hateful attitude but it's out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment