Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The odd Doctor God

So, I hadn't ever heard of an RE (reproductive endocrinologist) before last October, but when my obgyn said she couldn't do anything to get me pregnant, I was told to call right away. Since then, I've learned that RE's are odd. They all seem to have different ideas of how to treat you, and yet they are all right. I've learned this from talking to others going through this since I have only seen my RE.
I call him Dr. God because I feel like that is what he really thinks he is. I mean, seriously, who gets into the business of making babies who doesn't have a god complex? Sure, there appears to be a lot of money in it, but there is no question in my mind that Dr. God isn't just in it for the money...
So, why is he odd? Well, in meeting number one, he talked about his new treadmill, how people in San Francisco and Canada are better because they "just liiive," and a bit about our problems. In our second meeting, prior to IVF #1, I asked a few too many questions and he got super defensive. He LOVES analogies and said that this experience should be like riding in a car in a new place, if I kept telling the driver how to drive and where to turn, I'd miss the beautiful countryside. Then he told me not to ask the nurses too many questions because they would take it out on me. Ummm, so yeah, I challenged him a bit.
Oddly, I somehow still feel confident with him. He says bizarre things, he talked about how IVF is like making soup, and we have to find the right ingredients (analogies), but I think he really means it. He also does all the procedures himself, and is very good with the bad news. SO, odd? you bet, good? stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment