Monday, June 14, 2010

Sex for the sake of sex

So, where is the craziest place that you have done it? I know I've had the conversation with my girlfriends and my answer has never been that exciting. "Well, we did it in the living room a few times, is that risque?" Um, no, I came to realize pretty quickly that my sex life has been pretty tame.
Anyone who has been trying to get pregnant knows full well that even the tamest of personal bedroom escapades turns quickly to duty and monotony. For those who realize it isn't happening after just "having lots of sex a lot," soon there are three key days out of the month, then there are specific times and days that your ovulation predictor kit, or basal body temperature have told you that you need to do it NOW! Pretty soon, you are taking the husband away from the baseball game and rearranging road trips for those precious few minutes that no longer seem fun.
My situation with this particular aspect of TTC was short-lived. I tried to figure out what cervical mucus was and laid on the bed with my hips on a few pillows. Now knowing that it didn't make much difference makes it somewhat comical...or pathetic. Either way, it's pretty F'd up.
This whole idea of infertility is about sex, I mean how are babies made (well, for most people)?? Even the Catholics don't believe that IVF or IUI is acceptable in conceiving a child (that's a whole other post). My sex life is now non-existent, right? It certainly has felt that way. When we had sex after finding out it most likely wouldn't end in a pregnancy, I found it upsetting. Sex now was supposed to be for reproduction, and it can't happen? Then there is the going through IVF, protected sex, in case that .0001% chance worked and I got pregnant, the crazy drugs would be very bad for the baby and that would probably mess me up even more. Then once the stims start through the pregnancy test, no sex at all. And you know what? It wasn't really missed, well, by me anyway. That is not good, but the focus gets so messed up...
Now we are waiting for IVF #2, and I am on a crazy hormone that puts me through menopause, possibly. So far, not so much and actually, I'm feeling pretty good. In fact, the whole reason I began thinking about all of this was because the d-man and I actually had sex for the sake of having sex. No baby-making, no feeling like we should, just plain old crazy do it like teenagers. Craziest place I ever did it? Off the 301 on the Maryland/Delaware border, front seat. Not risque, but hell, it was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment