Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The heat is so HOT......mon

A few years ago I was in the BVIs and we were listening to the radio (reggae, shocker). The DJ was awesome and his best line was “The heat is so hot!” SOO apropos right now……

It has been summer for all of a day and a half and we are experiencing crazy heat and humidity usually not seen until August (in the Philly area). Global warming is non-existent? I beg to differ, Mr. Cheney. We have another 90+ couple of days coming up and I am super glad our AC is working in the house and in the office. I am especially glad because at 33 years old, I am experiencing what I am sure are hot flashes. Now this is not a surprise, since this summer I am taking Lupron Depot to prep my ovaries for IVF #2 in August and the side effects are supposed to be “menopausal-like symptoms.”

I was not certain at first if I had a hot flash or what. I went to the source (mom) who said I’d wake up having sweat through whatever I was wearing and possibly the sheets. That hasn’t happened, though I have woken up sweating. The thing is I didn’t know throughout the past few weeks if I was having a hot flash or if the AC was going out or something. I mean it’s BEEN 95 DEGREES OUT!! I’ve taken to asking others around if they are hot when I have these moments of serious hotness (and not in the me in a bikini way) and sweat building up on my brow. They have been saying, “no…???”

Here’s when I figured something was up; about three and a half weeks after beginning the shots, I went to the dentist. I was sweating in the chair…now again, 90 degrees, and I was in the frickin’ dentist chair and who doesn’t sweat there? Well, when I say hot, I mean, sweat down my back—kind of embarrassing walking out of there. Then I began to realize that I’d have these 5-10 minute well, hot flashes. The asking those around me (the d-man, my therapist from group) if they were hot and having them say, “no, I’m actually a bit chilly,” made me realize what was going on here.

SO, I was super excited not to be getting the side effects but was so worried that it meant this wasn’t working. Well, not anymore! I don’t think it’s overbearing, but I hope to hell it doesn’t get worse. I’m glad this is in the summer so I can tell people it’s just hot out and not be totally embarrassed. I get to go through this again in 20 years, right? Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment