Saturday, February 5, 2011

glucose, ice cream, and low gas

Sooooo, yesterday was eventful. I mean I started out with my glucose tolerance test. I fear that the eating of crap the week before wasn't good, but I can't give myself diabetes in a week, can I? I've had this before, when I had all the tests for PCOS. I wasn't diabetic or even pre-diabetic then. I didn't have insulin resistance, either. My glucose DID spike, however. That was a two-hour test, I believe. This one was the amateur one hour test. If I fail, though, it's a three-hour test. I don't want to fail. I need to eat better anyway, so maybe I can do so without the threat of gestational diabetes?

I guess I need to start today, however, because for some reason I thought it a good idea to buy a pint of Ben and Jerry's last night. I figured I'd have some while watching Up.....okay side note on Up. I knew it was about a man whose wife and he couldn't have kids and so they have a good life anyway, blah blah blah, but let me tell you, I lost it. I mean, it IS Disney and therefore, you are supposed to cry at some point, but I was really upset. I'm glad I waited until I got pregnant to see it though....anyway, the ice cream. It turned out to be the whole pint consumed. I'm not so worried about the calories, which in my old life would be four good beers (and a hangover, presumably) but was it the sugar? Was it me needing something to soothe me? I don't know. I wish it had been a pint of broccoli.

So the gas...this is where I lost it again, but after some Googling, have regained my composure. I came home from work today around five. I went to the kitchen to make some bran muffins while I cleaned the kitchen. As I went to pre-heat the oven, I noticed that the burner was on--very low. I don't know if I hit it..but then I remembered that I had it on high for the soup I had (prior to ice cream) last night and I believe that I turned it low but apparently not all the way off. I rightfully freaked out. I didn't smell gas, the carbon monoxide detectors didn't go off, I didn't feel sick, headache, nothing. I even actually turned on the oven for the muffins while opening the windows and turning on the fan.
I did what I always do in times of fear, I Googled. I found several articles about people who left gas on and woke up to a smell and headache, and called the gas company..but that's not what happened. I feel okay now because I read about people making broth and how it has to simmer for 24-72 hours! The people on the boards (and it was a mothering board) had no problem with this. I'm thinking there is something to the fact that the stove was not LEAKING gas but was on as if I were cooking something. I guess I am glad I don't have a cat that could have caught on fire. Because it would have a really stupid owner.

I'll be asking the doctor about this, but if I feel okay....I aired it out, still have the fan on...feel fine...and made the muffins with no incident.

YES, I'm worried about her...and also about my parenting skills.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like mommy brain to me :) no harm, no foul I always think. Next time I'm in the grocery store, I'll be keeping an eye out for pints of broccoli. I think they should put them right next to the ice cream, cause I know I'd feel guilty if I'm eyeing up the ice cream, but then there's a perfectly good pint of broccoli right next to it, ya know?

    ReplyDelete