Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Reality Check

Scary things never stop happening. No, this isn’t with me, or in my head or whatever, but there are things happening around me that are a constant reminder of the fragility of this whole pregnancy.

An infertile friend of mine actually found out she was pregnant about six weeks ago. She had just put in her adoption paperwork so it was a bit odd. Her history is miscarriage so I’m sure she wasn’t totally confident. I hadn’t heard from her in almost two weeks so I feared the worst. She finally called and explained that she had been bleeding a lot and the heartbeat was kind of low. This doesn’t mean anything necessarily, but she was lying low and is pretty nervous. She’s now at eight weeks, which may be as long as she’s ever been. I can’t imagine continually getting to this point only to have it end in such a dramatic way. I’m praying for her.

A friend of the D-man’s wife was recently told to stay home from work—bed rest essentially because her blood pressure was high, too high. She is also an infertile and this was an IUI pregnancy. My first reaction was, okay, that sucks, but do what you gotta do. Then we found out that she was admitted to the hospital so they could monitor her. She was there maybe two days when the D-man got a text saying that she was having an emergency C-section. The baby was born yesterday at 25-26 weeks and one pound, nine ounces. I don’t know what will happen but we are praying for them, too.

This scares me, of course. Confident, I am anything but, which isn’t a surprise statement. However, these things are real, they are close. I don’t know what my blood pressure is to be honest. I still have two weeks until I actually see my OB for the first time. Aside from fearing everything that could possibly happen, I find these situations remarkably unfair. These are people who have struggled over and over and they do not deserve to have to go through anything like this. It makes me question a lot of things. It tests faith and hits on many emotions. I just have to think that these are people who are stronger because of their struggle and that will pull them through these temporary situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment