Sunday, April 10, 2011

less than a week....til the damn shower

So, I CAN'T be alone in saying that I am not a fan of baby showers. I've always said that I don't like bridal showers and the only thing worse is a baby shower. Why? well....it could be the ooohing and ahhing over all of the little clothes and as the guest of honor, the pretending that I like everything. It's VERY much like the bridal shower. I feel that women over 55 LOVE these things and just have to see the plates you registered for, get all excited about sheets, etc. The same goes for the baby shower but even more so because they absolutely adore babies. They only remember the good things about their own babies...30 years ago. Here's the thing about the gifts: styles liked by those in their 20s and 30s vary greatly between those of women in their 50s and 60s. I expect a lot of clothing that I will not put on my daughter, and lots of blankets that I won't use. I've checked (they make it really easy now) my registries and there is a LOT of stuff left! I am visualizing pink frilly dresses and prissy little outfits that I wouldn't dare put on her. I mean, we bought a onzie today that had a darth vader head on it. (and another that says "my mommy doesn't want your advice" that will cause some angry stares by the very women who will BE at my shower). I am praying for receipts so we can actually go and get the stuff we want or need...

The other part of it is that it is hosted by my mother-in-law who is super excited about it. I mean, like I said, women over 55 LOVE it! She is also very much into etiquette and how things are supposed to be so this will be very much what I don't like about showers.....that's okay. I can pretend I like pink dresses (though I totally regret sharing that info with people now). I didn't get much say in the shower, but that would have caused problems anyway (I would have like to have been able to have my friends kids there...since a couple asked) But it is nice, not cheap I'm sure, and should get us some of the things we need, so....I can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment