Friday, July 1, 2011

protective instinct

So, here we are in the sixth week of the baby's life. It's been five weeks of groundhog day. feed her, change her, burp her, change her clothes because she peed all over herself, research the weird sound she made online, do baby laundry, do regular laundry, don't sleep.
And yet...I feel so happy to be around her-and way overprotective. I am overprotective of both her but also of me, of my parenting skills and non-skills.

My mom wrote in a card something like "make your own mistakes." Even when she was here and I would ask her things she would say she didn't remember...which was probably the case, but I think she also didn't want to piss me off by offering advice. I knew that MIL was going to do that, and she didn't disappoint, but she has toned it down a bit, thanks to my husband....

I was getting really angry when MIL would tell me how to feed her or what babies did...blah blah blah. She also assumed we were doing what she did with her babies that no one has done since the 80s. She can't seem to fathom that we don't bathe her everyday. It's okay, though, because we are letting her know that things have changed. I just hope she takes the stuff out of the crib when the baby starts to move a bit more....

Now, I am also protective of the baby and other than my mom and MIL (and d-man obviously), I am nervous about leaving her with anyone. My sister in law is babysitting two weeks from now and I am trying to make sure she stays in one room and doesn't move her too much. She doesn't seem to get that the baby can't control her neck yet...no matter how many times I let her know. I have to let it go...but I still plan to let her know!

So, hopefully I can let my protectiveness stay inside a bit, so I can let the baby go through life. She's practically grown now at six weeks anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment